8.07.2012

Fugly or Fabulous? Olympics Scrunchies

OK… I think that gymnastics is the best event to watch in the summer Olympics.  In fact, it’s the only event that I really make a point of watching. 

I just have to say… I’m super intrigued this year by the abundance of hair scrunchies in women’s gymnastics attire.  Is the scrunchie making a comeback?  Or is this an Olympics-only trend? 

canada scrunchie

Join me after the jump for way more photos and commentary.  I’m curious to see what you all are thinking about this important fashion issue. 

scrunchie collage

As you can see, we’re not talking one or two scrunchie sightings.  Scrunchies are a HUGE DEAL in gymnastics fashion.  I did a bit of research, and apparently scrunchies are a gymnast’s best bet for keeping hair in place during those crazy twists and twirls through the air.

Some of these are definitely cuter than others.  I may be biased, but I think the Canadian red scrunchie with the white flower is kind of fun.  And I think I could totally accomplish the messy bun with hair-out-the-bottom look that the US team is sporting.  I can’t see myself adding the glitter spray that team Russia is fond of.  And just NO to the little bendy clips all over the place.

We are seeing a lot of other ‘80’s trends in fashion and design (think neon and colour blocking)… maybe the scrunchie will be the next trend to resurface!?!

What do you think?  Would you wear one?  Fugly or fabulous?

photos via Reuters and Getty Images   

18 comments:

  1. Ahhhh NO! Not the scrunchie! I have been wondering the same thing about them, but I guess it must be because they are functional - it's definitely not fashionable. I do agree that the one with the white flower is a little better. I guess in the end, their top priority isn't how fashionable their hair is... they just need it out of their face, right?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yep, I guess it's function over fashion. However... I did find a Marc Jacobs scrunchie... it's sold out on shopbop

      Delete
  2. I agree w/ Kerry, scrunchies are a no go! I guess they feel like they need to make a part of their outfit somewhat fashionable. Besides gymnastic, diving is our fave as well.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am certain the scrunchie is only for gymnasts. I know this, not only because they rank as hideous on the fashion scale, but also because my daughter is a gymnast. Each gymsuit she gets comes with a matching scrunchie. She is required to wear the competitive scrunchie that matches the competitive gymsuit when she competes. Gymnastics hair is serious business!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's so interesting... I had no idea that the scrunchie was actually part of the uniform!

      Delete
  4. Ahahaha just like those bendy clips, I think I'll leave the scrunchies to the gymnasts :P

    ReplyDelete
  5. The scrunchies should be banned altogether. They are not a good look and really are not functional...just get rid of them. I, too, am loving the gymnastics and swimming...can't seem to get enough!

    ReplyDelete
  6. !!!!!!!!!!!Indeed one of the great fashion/sport mysteries...they are tacky yet they seem to be part of their uniform....maybe I should change my view of them...but I don't know if I can....I'm so confused....just glad I didn't see too many metal heads (with like 12+ bendy clips - very distracting). You're gymnists - grow your hair out! You do not have to look tacky! EXCELLENT post...we needed to discuss...thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  7. the are totally fugly!! But if that is what works best to keep their hair back then I say wear them (on the mats). I think volleyball (beach and court) are my favorites to watch.

    ReplyDelete
  8. When it comes to Olympic fashion, I always like checking out the female sprinters. So many of them look like their last stop before hitting the track was the beauty salon for hair, make-up, and nails.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Argh I am so disappointed that I didn't watch gymnastics yesterday. But scrunchies are never a good idea. Gross! xo

    ReplyDelete
  10. The Canadians wore the flower in their hair as a tribute to Peng Peng Lee who was injured just before the Olympics and could not make the trip to London. It was a gesture she was so proud of.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Say it isn't so:( I remember the scrunchie fondly but definitely will not be partaking in a comeback. I'm pretty sure my daughter has some in her room though.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I can't get on the scrunchie train -- even if the gymnasts are.

    ReplyDelete
  13. You took the words right out of my mouth! I even said something to my husband.

    ReplyDelete
  14. You took the words right out of my mouth! I even said something to my friends. An incredibly fascinating examine. Thank you very much.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Fascinating dress design blog.

    ReplyDelete

What are your thoughts??? Thanks for taking time to comment!